Tuesday, March 25, 2014

recipes

I tried some new recipes today and just want to keep it on hand!

Crock Pot Beef Carnitas Tacos- I found this on pinterest and it was SO good. Steven and I made this for dinner for his brother and sister-in-law and it was a hit!
I made a few changes, such as:
Instead of 2lbs flank steak, I used 2 lbs chuck steak. It was much cheaper, but still carried a lot of moisture and was super easy to shred.
I didn't have all the spices they listed for as a marinade, so I just used  what other spices I had on hand, including ground red pepper, Lawrey's seasoning salt, and a little paprika. 
and for toppings, instead of salsa I just used tomatoes. The lime, avocado, and cilantro were perfect toppings too.
Also, they put it in the crockpot low for 8 hours, I just did it high for 5 hours, shredded it, and let it sit on warm until we were ready to serve it 3 hours later.
Gluten-free and DEELICIOUS!

Strawberry Pie with chocolate crust- I followed this recipe pretty exactly, except I made the crust chocolate by adding 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder and 2 Tbsp sugar. The crust was amazing. I also made a lattice crust for the first time... way easier than I thought, and looked really beautiful!
The only problem I had with this was that it was soup-er runny (haha, get it?). I'm not sure why exactly, but my main guess is because I didn't refrigerate it for an hour to let it set before baking it. I dunnooo.. but I'll definitely be making this pie again. Probably the best crust I've ever had, and because of the strawberries it was perfect for spring/summer.
definitely not gluten-free OR sugar-free... but strawberries are healthy right? ;)


No comments:

Post a Comment